Libertyville takes 3-0 loss from New Trier

Sophomore Alex Houser (#9) is among several underclass starters in this year’s young varsity team.

The girls varsity soccer team braved the bitter cold as they faced off against New Trier on Wednesday, March 22. The Wildcats lost 3-0, bringing Libertyville its first loss in the season opener while New Trier improved to 3-0.

The Wildcats started off the game strong, dominating the midfield and were evenly matched against the Trevians. The Wildcat offense, however, had difficulty getting shots on net. New Trier scored late in the first half off a throw-in for a 1-0 lead.

Libertyville kept up its defense into the second half, but continued to struggle getting the ball out of the Wildcat zone. New Trier continued to dominate on offense and scored two more goals towards the end of the game to cap off the 3-0 victory.

New Trier has consistently been strong in soccer, but Libertyville’s loss may have been due to several factors, one being a lack of players. The Wildcat bench looked considerably empty compared to the Trevians’.

“We were a little out-manned today because some of our girls weren’t here,” commented first-year head coach Kevin Thunholm. “We’ve got a lot of injuries as well. But I think we kept our composure, we played real well together. We never panicked.”

This year’s team is also younger than recent years. One of those younger players is Kendall Edwards, a freshman, who’s the starting goalie.

“I thought [Kendall] had an outstanding game,” commented senior Natalie Jaroch, a team captain. “As a freshman, I know she was super nervous before the game because it was New Trier, but that did not stop her from making unbelievable saves.”

The Wildcats may have lost, but the players and the coaches remain optimistic about their season.

Thunholm was complimentary of the team’s performance, given the circumstances: I think our defense is solid. Our mid-field moves the ball well. We just gotta finish the ball.”

Added Jaroch: “I have played LHS soccer all four years of high school and I can honestly say there is something very different about this team. Since day one, it felt like we had been playing with each other for weeks. Every girl has so much respect for the next and we just jive well together.”

Libertyville’s next game will be on the road against McHenry High School on Wednesday, April 5, at 4:30 pm.