LHS partakes in the ‘Battle of the Fans’ competition

Libertyville+high+school%27s+student+section+is+in+the+running+for+being+one+of+the+top+student+sections+in+Illinois.+
Libertyville high school's student section is in the running for being one of the top student sections in Illinois.

Photo by Sam Nelson

Photo by Sam Nelson

Abbey Humbert, Staff Writer

Libertyville High School is still in the running for the “Battle of the Fans” competition held by Comcast Sports Network (CSN).

CSN reached out to schools all around Illinois to find contestants for their “Battle of the Fans” competition. LHS athletic director, Mr. Briant Kelly, was contacted regarding the contest.

“[They] were looking at those with a good fan base. They asked us athletic directors to turn in pictures of our student section, videos and just other information,” explained Mr. Kelly.

After picking the schools, CSN divided the schools into four divisions: Hoosiers, Teen Wolf, Hoop Dreams and Blue Chips. Libertyville is in the Hoop Dreams division. The schools are divided based on student enrollment numbers, and each division has schools that have around the same amount of students.

The other schools in the Hoop Dreams division are Brother Rice, Marist, Notre Dame, East Moline, Geneva, Willowbrook, Lincoln Way East, Alton, Andrew, Mother McAuley, Wheaton North, Conant, Prospect, Rolling Meadows and Grant. These schools are from all over Illinois.

The contest is set up in a bracket. There is a bracket for each division; in the end, there will be four winners, not just one.

The first two elimination rounds are over. In the first round, Libertyville’s “Jungle” went against Lincoln Way West’s “West Side.” Libertyville ended up with 58 percent of the vote, advancing to the second round against Willowbrook, in the sweet 16. Libertyville won this round 57 percent to 43 percent and is now in the third round of the contest against Brother Rice.

The four winners of “Battle of the Fans” will be announced on March 16 on CSN Official Preps. A special award will be given to the four champion schools shortly after the conclusion of the contest.

“It’s an opportunity in the school for everyone to participate,” expressed Mr. Kelly.

Students and people in the community are able to vote on Twitter. In order to vote, you must have a Twitter account.

“Stepping into the student section, you get a rush of excitement and a sense of family. Everyone that is in the stands belongs there and wants to be there. I think that is what makes it so special — we all show that we want to be there and want our football team to win,” said Bridget Horvath, a junior and member of Student Council Executive Board, in an email. “Despite your grade or what you’re involved in, the student section is meant to be a place of inclusion and belonging where everyone at LHS is united together.”