Safety, happiness and acceptance are some of the qualities that make students proud to be Wildcats, according to Drops of Ink staff members.

Proud to be Wildcats

As you walk down the halls of Libertyville High School, there’s a lot to see. Strangers smile and give compliments, students wear LHS gear, and lockers have been decorated by friends and clubs. LHS tries to ensure that every student feels comfortable, which can be seen in the safety stickers for the LGBTQ community on teachers’ doorways as well as the free compliments put around the school to brighten days.

Libertyville High School has many opportunities and support for its students and sometimes students take this for granted. Despite some students’ doubts, there’s a reason that parents proudly display Wildcat signs in their front lawns

LHS academics are better than almost anywhere else in America. According to the District 128 website, Niche, a school ranking organization, has ranked District 128 1st in the nation for 2016.

DOI staff members agree that we have all been able to find academic courses and extracurricular activities that we are passionate about due to the wide range of options LHS provides. If a club doesn’t exist, we always have the ability to create one.

In addition to academics, there is a sense of love and support in the LHS community. As a staff, we agree that we are proud to be Wildcats because of how accepting everyone is. There are many steps taken by students and faculty to ensure that every Wildcat feels safe. Our school celebrates weeks that recognize depression, provides stickers to show solidarity for all identities, and has installed all-genders bathrooms.

Here at LHS, the students and teachers work hard to take care of one another. Teachers make an effort to get to know the students personally, and in light of tragic events, are accepting and do their best to support their students in any way that they can. After the deaths of several LHS students, teachers tried to accommodate the grief by pushing back deadlines and comforting students.

Additionally, the school cares about the well-being of its students and works to help them the best they can. For example, the school brought in service dogs for stressed students to relax on Dec. 6. This concern for student health was also proved in the reactions of LHS members after the presidential election. Teachers and students wore safety pins to signify that they were willing to support and comfort others distressed by the results of the election.

Furthermore, another amazing quality specific to LHS is that individuality is encouraged and supported. DOI especially appreciates events like Writers Week, a way for students to showcase their creativity. Going off of this, unlike other high schools, LHS supports more than just sports teams. Musicals are sold out, band concerts are packed, and friends and family buy artwork at the art shows to support their program.

As LHS students, we have experienced a shared sense of unity. This is highlighted by our turnouts to events and celebrations. LHS clothing is common around the school, which shows how proud we are to go here. We even have our own language, which is pretty bayd.

Looking around LHS, it is clear to the DOI staff: We are proud to be Wildcats.