Meet the Captains: a Q and A with the 2016-2017 IceCat Captains

Main Captain Justin Agemura scans the ice during a 2-1 win against Notre Dame.

As they near the end of their season,the  Libertyville/Vernon Hills Icecats own a 15-12-1 record. This year, all four captains are seniors at LHS. Emails interviews were conducted with each of the captains to learn about them on and off the ice.

Brandon Simberg: What does it mean to you to be a captain?

Justin Agemura (Main captain): Being the captain of the IceCats Dynasty is an honor, and being able to be a leader to a great group of guys is an amazing experience.

Aidan Glynn (Alternate captain): It means more responsibility and the need to help clear things up when needed.

David Mattson (Alternate captain): It’s a big responsibility, and I am honored to be one.

Photo Courtesy of LHS IceCats Facebook Page. Alternate Captains, David Mattson and Mitch Cox celebrate a goal.

Mitchell Cox (Alternate captain): Being a captain to me means expressing leadership and sportsmanship on and off the ice. We are the younger players’ role models, and the rest of the team follows the tempo we set.

BS: How has the season gone so far?

JA: The season has been going very well so far. We have grown with a lot of chemistry throughout the beginning of the year and if we keep up our progress, we have a chance to go very far in playoffs.

AG: This season has been one of the best seasons yet. We are on a winning streak and are upsetting big teams.

MC: So far, the season has been much better than last year. We are winning more games and are progressing every day. Unfortunately, we have once again been plagued by injuries, but each player is making a speedy recovery.

BS: What are the strengths in your individual game?

JA: I believe my strengths consist of my speed and my ability to read the ice and make plays.

DM: My individual strength is my playmaking ability.

MC: Strengths in my individual game are that I have been playing hockey all of my life and I come from a hockey family, so I have a good hockey sense. I am able to read what my teammates do before they do it.

BS:  What is your favorite memory playing hockey at LHS?

JA: My favorite memory from playing hockey at LHS [are] the Carmel games. Carmel games are always the craziest and whether you win or lose, it still is amazing to see the bleachers filled with fans from both teams.

AG: Practicing as an incoming freshman with the varsity team.

DM:  [The] Carmel game sophomore year when we won 8-1.

BS: Any pre-game rituals? Individual or team.

JA: I always put on my right side gear before my left.

AG: Listening to music.

DM: Just listen to music in the locker room and hang[ing] out with the boys.

MC:  We usually will kick a soccer ball around and listen to music in the locker room.

BS: What team would you say is your biggest rival?

JA: Our biggest rival by far is Carmel. Because we play and practice on the same ice, we have always had that rivalry that not many other teams have.

AG: Carmel

DM: Carmel

MC: Definitely Carmel

BS: What is your favorite spot to eat in the area?

JA: Denny’s with the boys

AG: Taco Bell

Photo Courtesy of LHS IceCats Facebook Page. Alternate Captain Aidan Glynn (17) skates on the ice during a stoppage of play.

DM: Portillo’s

MC: Chick-Fil-A

BS: What is your favorite TV show?

JA: “The Office”

AG: “Arrow”

DM: “NHL Tonight:

MC: “Burn Notice”

BS: What are your plans for next year?

JA: Go to college at either Minnesota Twin Cities or Michigan State

AG: College.

DM: Go to college.

MC: I will either attend Colorado School of Mines or the University of Michigan to study Mechanical Engineering. I have still not decided which of the two schools I want to end up at yet.