LHS Sociology Class Creating Social Movement on Sexual Assault

Adding a Teal Ribbon Week is one of many ideas planned by Mr. Brian Vosss first-period sociology class.
Adding a Teal Ribbon Week is one of many ideas planned by Mr. Brian Voss’s first-period sociology class.

Mr. Brian Voss’s first-period sociology class is working to spread awareness regarding sexual assault in place of their usual first-semester projects.

The semester project, which will stretch out over the rest of the year (despite the class being only one semester), was changed from researching a social movement to creating one of their own. Ideas for the project came as a result of the most recent Drops of Ink publication, where one of the stories focused on the taboo of sexual assault in high schools, particularly at LHS. The goal of the first period’s group project is to reverse this idea — to give more information and provide assistance as well as awareness about sexual assault.

The class divided into four separate groups, focusing on different ways to execute their project: research, posters, Teal Ribbon Week and presentations for the administration. Each group consists of anywhere from six to 10 people, and although the class officially ends at the end of the semester, they will have several meetings throughout the rest of year on implementing their plan. The class will deliver their presentation to the administration on Monday.

Mr. Voss, the teacher of this particular sociology class, mentioned that the commitment and motivation of his first-period class has made this project unique.

“It’s not my initiative; it’s their initiative, and I think that’s been the most rewarding part about this,” Mr. Voss said.

Although the project is in a state of infancy, there are several goals that the class wishes to implement. These include informative sheets in bathrooms, posters around the school, stickers, a health fair, and a Teal Ribbon Week (similar to Red and Yellow Ribbon Weeks, but focusing on sexual assault).

The Teal Ribbon week would take place late in April following Senior Week, because April is the nationally recognized month for sexual assault awareness. The students hope that the idea remains at LHS in the following years.

Another idea the class plans on pursuing is the possibility of adding a new support group at LHS.

“With all the support groups that we have at LHS, the fact that we don’t have one for sexual assault or dating violence needs to change,” said senior Rachel Tobler, a student in Mr. Voss’s first-period class.

Overall, the class hopes to make a big difference with the awareness of sexual assault at LHS and inform students about the realities of the issue. According to Tobler and Mr. Voss, many members of the class plan on working throughout second semester to continue developing and implementing the goals of the project. 

“I think [the project] can have a big impact keeping it as an organic, student-run, authentic thing,” said Mr. Voss. “It could really ripple through the school.”

View Comments (1)